Saturday, August 11, 2007

Day 6 - Hello Colorado

The morning began like most. Wake up, pack up, eat, then pedal for several hours on end. As I left Laramie this morning there were several police cars flying by sirens screaming heading for some unknown disaster. About a half an hour later I came upon traffic that was backed up for about 3-4 miles. As I approached I could also see a helicopter coming in from the distance. I rode to the front of the line and the heli was parked on the highway.

The victim was in an ambulance. It was a motorcycle driver. The rumor among the bystanders was that he tried to pass a vehicle and couldn’t make it. He then tried to pull back in, and hit a truck. His motorcycle was 120 yards down the highway from him where it had run off the road, looking like it was ghost riding of its own accord.

The other rumor was that he lost his leg in the accident. Three of his friends were there. They were all riding up to Sturgis for the bike rally. The hardest part of this for me was as I rode past the accident scene. There was blood all over the highway, and bits of flesh. It also looked as though he had been dragged for a good distance as there was a blood trail traveling in the opposite direction that he had been traveling. This was a very hard moment for me. I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about my own vulnerability on this trip. I’ve spent many moments in fear of what was approaching me from behind. I’ve been run off the road several times by wide loads carried by tractor-trailer trucks. As a bicyclist I stand no chance against a motor vehicle. It does scare me that I’m putting my safety at the hands of all the drivers out there. I guess all that I can do is do everything that I can to be as safe as possible, which I do. I don’t know the fate of the motorcyclist. But I hope that he makes it through this, and I hope that his friends also are ok. I know how something like this can deeply effect a person. I found myself feeling increased annoyance with drivers who don’t make an effort to give me space when I’m riding. It’s easy to see the difference when all you do is stare at the white line on the shoulder.Many people move half way across the lane for me, even when I’m on the edge of the road. Then there are other people who ride the white line. Some even come closer as they pass by, and after passing meander back into the middle of the lane. They scare me. But it is all part of the journey. We’re not going to be seeing traffic like this for some time once we leave Ft. Collins. It’ll be back roads USA, Midwestern style.

There is an off chance that I may be meeting with a CBS affiliate during my stay in Ft. Collins. I hope to be meeting with them about mental health parity. I’m feeling like I haven’t been able to do a whole lot for this as of yet. Though I’ve been handing out my cards that have my web address on them, hopefully that will help. I hope this doesn’t lend to anyone’s fears or worries about this trip. I came into it knowing what the dangers of riding bicycles on the roads are. I know full well what can happen, and what does happen. What makes the risk worth doing this is that I can get hurt or killed anywhere. Most of my scars and medical bills have come from accidents very close to my home. I could worry about the what ifs, and spend some safe time on a couch. Or I can not worry and see what life has in store.

Most of the road into Ft. Collins was enjoyably downhill. There was a 2000 foot drop in elevation between Wyoming, and Ft. Collins, CO. I came across to interesting points. The first one is the town of Tie Siding. What's left of the the town is the grocery/post office/antique/flea market shop. The second point of interest if the abandoned post office/store at the top of the pass between Tie Siding and Fort Collins. I decided to give you the experience of this downhill ride and took some video, it's about 60 seconds of the downhill up until 37 mph when I started to get nervous about riding with one hand.
The only significant change from Wyoming to Colorado has been the amount of traffic. It's definitely busier here, and people drive like city people. They give you next to no space on the shoulder! Some even try to get closer as they pass. A bit unnerving. I also met up with Matt today. We almost rode past each other as he was headed to check out a KOA campground that we thought was 5 miles outside of town, but ended up being 10. As I passed it I thought it might be it but then thought better of it as the sign said 10 miles to Ft. Collins... so we stayed in town at this dive of a Motel for pretty cheap.

We went out for a couple beers and some all you can eat pizza, and by the way all you can eat really is the way to eat! Then we casually meandered back to the motel and crashed for the night.

The next day was the first off day. We ran some errands, various bike parts, food, then we went and saw a movie. We saw 1408 a horror film, it was ok. But tomorrow it's back to the pedals. After a day off my body feels completely rejuvenated! I'm excited to be feeling strong and pain free again! Alas my time with the internet is coming to an end.