Monday, August 27, 2007

Day 23 - The Flood Remnants

Another 112 miles today. The riding is getting steadily more humid. The heat isn't intense but at this humidity it makes any temperature sweaty. The riding here is still flat. The most notable point of each day are these amazing sun rises ((())). I've been getting on the road about a half hour before sunrise each day in an attempt to get some pedaling done to beat the heat. But I end up using the time to make extra mileage, which is also good.

I'm a little nervous about my wrist. The pain isn't subsiding. I'm not sure if it hurts more from spending extra time in the saddle, or if it's going to hurt regardless... Today is/was Blufton, IN, to Upper Sandusky, OH. I pulled into Sandusky around 5 pm. I was looking to meet some people and do some chatting so I looked for a restaurant/pub to find some dinner at. On the main street in Sandusky I found the Pour House. As I was looking for a change of clothes, and my wallet I met a very nice couple who were entering the bar. I talked with them for a minute as they were curious about my ride and my bike.

I went inside to change my clothes (longing for something not soaked with sweat). I came out of the bathroom and was debating where to sit, at the bar or a table, when I heard someone behind me ask me if I would like to join them. I turned around and it was the couple I had met out front. I ate dinner with them and we chatted about everything we could think of. They were incredibly nice, bought me dinner and two beers, and then even invited me to sleep at their house for the evening! I was a little leary at first, as I'm sure they were of me also, but it turned out to be a great house and they the nicest people I've met in a while! Even better it was the best night sleep I've had in months!

The days ride yesterday and today was filled with signs from last weeks flood. Everyone had stories of their neighbors, offices, places of employment, that had been affected by the flood. In the neighborhood where I stayed that night people had pulled out rugs, furniture, and anything that had been damaged by the flood and placed it curbside for pickup. The rivers were swollen well beyond the banks and levels were commonly at the bottom of the foliage on the trees that line the banks of the rivers. That's a lot of water.