Thursday, July 5, 2007

Trials and Tribulations

It seems as though the ride might not take as much time as was originally thought. At least as current planning/scheduling looks. Matt's map estimates 32 days for the ride, ending in Larchmont, NY. For me I need to decide where I'm going to end my trip. As my original plan was to end in Burlington, VT, which I think will be an amazing bike ride. I remember the smell and cool air of fall in New England as a child, and always loved it as my favorite time of year. Even know thinking back to those times a feeling of joy and excitement comes over me, and I can't help but smile.

Now for some fears. I fear the Midwest. I lived in Nebraska for year, just after college. I remember summer in Nebraska. It was the first time I had ever been exposed to 100+ temperatures as a regular occurrence. I know we'll be able to handle it though, and may even get some reprieve as it will be approaching September as we make out way through the Great Plains. This lighter sleeping bag will definitely be a necessity, most likely I'll spend my time sleeping on top of it. Also in news: my thermarest had been leaking after a week long back packing trip in Moab. I must have slept near or on a cactus needle. The hole was tiny and very slow leaking. I would inflate the mattress then usually by the morning it would be empty, but it was only slightly annoying as only the pressure points (hips and shoulders) felt the ground through it. But it is fixed!!

My previous post had left off with me talking to my current employer. And now I am posting a blog when I'd normally not be allowed to use the internet or my cell phone. I've made four phone calls since 9:15. So you basically get the idea. But anyway, every cloud has a silver lining. Always pressing forward. My most previous employer was kind enough to honor my bike and equipment purchases, which I am thankful for. And their are no hard feelings, just a bit of shock at first.

But moving on, I'm still excited about the ride. VERY EXCITED!! This is merely a hill on the road, only one of many I am sure. And I'm ready for them!