Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Final Wrap Up

Sorry for the gap in posting! Tomorrow is the big day! I'm leaving at sunrise to begin this eastward trek. I hope to finish tomorrow in Dubois, WY, a ride of 85 miles. Definitely doable. I only have one mountain pass to ascend, and that's the Togwotee pass. I'm planning on arriving there long before the heat of the day so it should be no problem.

Thank you so much to the people who have donated money!!! This is a huge help. I've got some miles to do in the name of a few people so it's just a matter of getting the finishing touches.

But the first leg will be in the name of Suzanne Finn! My sister, who I'm incredibly proud of! She's going to be attending Yale to become a Nurse Practitioner after working as an ER nurse at Yale and several other Hospitals in the North East for the past five years. The first leg of my journey is going to be for her, the Suzanne Finn leg.

Which brings me to the next point. On the right hand side over there is a paypal button, and basically that is a buy a mile/leg of the journey fund raiser for me. This is to raise money to support my ride, it isn't a donation for my cause, the equity campaign, but is a direct contribution to me personally. I came up with this idea after trying to figure out how I was going to survive this feat. As in the process of planning for the ride I was relieved of my employment. Which turned out to be a blessing because of the amount of planning and preparation that I needed to undertake, but I'm digressing. When you purchase a leg of the journey or mile I will ride that distance in your name, the name of a cause that you like, or the name of your company. I've had some incredibly generous donations this far, and just really want to say thank you!! It really does mean a lot to me that people are willing to support me in this cause!

But now for the ride. I finished moving out of my house today. My bike is packed up. I've got a head cold, but other than that I'm ready to go. I'm ready to get this ride on the way! I have a lot of nervousness, and a lot of questions I think as anyone does before undertaking large adventures. But for now I've got to go drop of my car and ride back into town, get some sleep, and then get to pedaling. It's kind of nice to know that my only job for the next month is to: Eat, Sleep, and Pedal. (not excluding all the stuff that you have to do but I think the point is there) The next time you read one of these posts it will have been written under a different sky, and probably from some internet hub out there on the road, and so I sign off for the last time from the comfort's of houses, showers, and home cooked food.

Oh and I thought I'd throw my packing list in there for good measure:
4 h20 bottles
tools
stove
fuel for stove
rain gear
tent
sleeping pad
sleeping bag
3 bike shorts
5 bike jerseys
1 casual short
4 pairs socks
1 casual shirt
food (rice, beans, etc)
1 book
4 pens
2 pads
laptop + charger
cell phone + charger
memory card reader
digital slr camera + charger + 50mm lens
small digi cam + chrager
toothbursh
deodarant
baby wipes in bag with alcohol
toothpaste
chamois butter
sunscreen (30 spf and 60 spf)
first aid kit
knife
drugs (AD, antihistamine, ibuprofen)
paracord
flipflops
small tarp
Water purifier and nalgene for water purifier
4 spokes with 2 nipples